©The UK Chinese Ensemble 1998-2010
Cheng Yu : Publications
- SOASIS-10 Cheng Yu & Her 5-stringed pipa (Solo CD Album), SOAS, Univ of London, 2006.
- CA8099 Masterpieces of Chinese Pipa and Qin Music: solo CD, China Arts, July, 2005.
- SOASIS-02 Liushui: Flowing Water, a selection from the traditional instrumental repertoire with the UK Chinese Ensemble, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, January 2000.
- Youth Music Singbook (score with CD), Single song: Molihua (Jasmine Flower), arranged and played by Cheng Yu, Faber Music, 2005.
- Wild Geese, single for guqin and xiao flute, by Vital Arts, 2005.
- Whisper of China - Extreme Music, arranged by Cheng Yu, 2004.
- MHS-50 The Oriental Journey - Music House, 2002.
- CHAP WR9 Music from China: with the UK Chinese Ensemble, Chappell RML, Zomba Production Music, May 2000.
- Shanghai Noon (Film music CD), composed by Randy Edelman, Cheng Yu, on the pipa and guqin, Spyglass Entertainment Group, 2000.
- EUCD-1947 The Very Best of Chinese Music, Arc Distribution Ltd., London.
- EUCD-1564 Classical Chinese Folk Music, Arc Distribution Ltd., London, 1999.
- SOASIS-01 Oceans of the Heart, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 1998.
- EUCD-1361 Best of China and Japan, Arc Distribution Ltd., London, 1996.
- EUCD-1241 20 Best of Asia, Africa and Australia, Arc Distribution Ltd., London, 1993.
- Four CDs in collaboration with WOMAD, and other musicians, published by Real World and Virgin Records, 1992, 1993, 1995.
- EUCD-1176 Classical Chinese Pipa, Arc Distribution Ltd., London, 1991.
Articles and Books
- Cheng Yu and Her 5-stringed pipa - a cross culture music creation, Single authored book by Cheng Yu with accompanying scores and a CD, Ashgate, (Forthcoming).
- "Xi'an Old Music in New China: ritual music and performance contexts", Musik, International Journal on Ethnomusicological Studies (Spring 2006).
- "Creating the Lost Tang 5-stringed pipa (8th century) - Instrument, Music and Performances", in Yueqi [Musical Instruments], Beijing China, August (2005).
- "The Precarious State of the Qin in Contemporary China". Chime: Journal of the European Foundation for Chinese Music Research 10 (1997).
- Recording review: John Thompson's Guqin CD "Music Beyond Sound". Chime: Journal of the European Foundation for Chinese Music Research 10 (1997).
- CD review: "Pipa Music of Wu Man". British Journal of Ethnomusicology, 2 (1995).
- "Chinese Music in London". Qianshao Journal (December 1994).
- "Re-envisioning the Musical Past: Questions and Issues Regarding Reconstruction and Recreation", panel discussion and a paper on the 5-stringed pipa, 10th Chime (European Foundation for Chinese Music Research) Conference, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (October 2005).
- Creating the Lost Tang Dynasty (8th Century) 5-stringed pipa for the 21st Century, 38th World Conference, International Council for Traditional Music, Sheffield, England (August 2005).
- Recreating the 5-stringed pipa lost in the Tang Dynasty - Duplicate or innovate? traditional or contemporary, national or cross-cultural? British Forum for Ethnomusicology, SOAS, London (April 2005).
- "Pipa music in the 20th century China - 'a flowing river'", British Forum for Ethnomusicology, Goldsmith College, London (July 2000).
- "The journey of the pipa - from a foreign lute to a quintessentially Chinese instrument", 5th Chime Conference, Heidelberg, Germany (August 1998).
- "Xi'an Guyue - an old ritual music in new China - musical style and social contexts", 4th Chime Conference, Leiden, The Netherlands (August 1997).