Chinese Music Concert – guqin and Silk & Bamboo Music 9 August, 2014
This concert was organised by the London Youlan Qin Society and was a part of the Guqin Summer School. Members of the Society played two pieces as a group, and several members played solo pieces. For the second half, the Silk and Bamboo Ensemble performed several instrumental solo and ensemble pieces.
- Guanshan Yue 关山月 The Moon Over the Guan Pass (from Mei'an Qinpu (1931) qin ensemble by members of the London Youlan Qin Society: Cheng Yu, Ashley Guan, Julian Joseph, Cai Xia, Charles Tsua; lyrics recital in Chinese: Chak Hum; lyrics recital in English: Jenny Zhao
- Jiu Kuang 酒狂 (Drunken Ecstasy) from Shenqi Mipu (1425) qin ensemble by members of the London Youlan Qin Society: Cheng Yu, Ashley Guan, Julian Joseph, Cai Xia, Charles Tsua
- Gao Shan Liu Shui 高山流水 High Mountains and Flowing Water (Trad.) guzheng solo by Chan Fungying
- Bi Jian Liu Quan 碧间流泉 A Spring Flowing through a Green Valley (Wuxue Shanfang Qin Handbook, 1835/6) guqin solo by Ashley Guan
- Ping Sha Luo Yan 平沙落雁 Wild Geese Descending on the Sandy Beach (Score first seen in Guyin Zhengzong, 1634) guqin solo by Julian Joseph
- Xi Yang Xiao Gu 夕阳箫鼓 Flute and Drum at Sunset pipa solo by Cheng Yu
- Yang Guan San Die 阳关三叠 Three Variations on the Yang Pass theme (Qinxue Rumen, 1864) guqin and xiao duet by Charles Tsua (qin) and Dennis Lee (xiao)
- Er Quan Ying Yue 二泉映月 Moon Reflected in the Second Spring (Trad. by Abing, 1940) Erhu (2-stringed fiddle) solo by Chen Dacan, accompanied by Cheng Yu
- Sai Ma 赛马 Horse Racing (Based on a Mongolia melody by Huang Haihe, 1978) Erhu (2-stringed fiddle) solo by Chen Dacan, accompanied by Cheng Yu
- Liu Shui 流水 Flowing Water (Score first seen in Shenqi Mipu Handbook, 1425) guqin solo by Cheng Yu
- Cai Yun Zhui Yue 彩云追月 Colourful Clouds Chasing the Moon (Cantonese Music) The Silk and Bamboo Ensemble (pipa, erhu, guzheng, xiao)
- Yaozi Wuzi 瑶族舞曲 Dance of the Yao People (adapted from folk music from southeast China), The Silk and Bamboo Ensemble
The London Youlan Qin Society would like to express their gratitude to Prince's Charities Foundation for funding this concert.