Victoria and Albert Museum Chinese Festival - Chinese Music Concert 19th January, 2014
The UK Chinese Music Ensemble and the London Youlan Qin Society held a very successful concert as part of the Victoria and Albert Museum's Chinese Festival on the 19th January, 2014. The audience was highly enthusiastic. The concert was part of the closing ceremony for the "Masterpieces of Chinese Painting 700-1900" exhibition at the Museum. The first part was performed by Dr. Cheng Yu and members of the London Youlan Qin Society. The second half was performed by the UK Chinese Music Ensemble, and featured solo and ensemble performances the erhu fiddle, pipa lute, guzheng zither, yangqin dulcimer and xiao flute.
- Guanshan Yue 关山月 The Moon Over the Mountain Pass (from Mei'an Qinpu (1931)) qin ensemble by members of the London Youlan Qin Society:
qin ensemble: Cheng Yu, Chen Qiuzhi, Julian Joseph, Ashley Guan, Zou Yuan, Ke Wen; Dennis Kwong Thye Lee (xiao flute); lyrics recital in Chinese: Jenny Zhao; lyrics recital in English: Seán Kelly
- Jiu Kuang 酒狂 Drunken Ecstasy (from Shenqi Mipu (1425)) qin ensemble by members of the London Youlan Qin Society:
Cheng Yu, Chen Qiuzhi, Julian Joseph, Ashley Guan, Zou Yuan, Ke Wen
- Tianshan Shihua 天山诗画 Sound of the River (by Huang He, 2002), yangqin (hammered dulcimer) solo by Chao Yuqing
- Meihu Diao 眉胡调 Meihu Melody, erhu (2-stringed fiddle) solo by Zhang Yuyao, accompanied by Chao Yujing
- Liuyang He 浏阳河 The Liuyang River, Guzheng (21-stringed zither) solo by Xu Muzi
- Wutong Yue 梧桐月 Moon Over the Wutong Tree, xiao (end-blown bamboo flute) solo by Dennis Kwong Thye Lee
- Shimian Maifu 十面埋伏 Ambushed on All sides, pipa (4-stringed lute) solo by Cheng Yu
- Xiyang Xiaogu 夕阳箫鼓 Flute and Drum at Sunset, The UK Chinese Music Ensemble (erhu, yangqin, pipa, guzheng, xiao)
- Xi Yang Yang 喜洋洋 Full of Joy, The UK Chinese Music Ensemble (erhu, yangqin, pipa, guzheng, xiao)
There are more photos on our Facebook page.
The London Youlan Qin Society would like to express their gratitude to the Victoria and Albert Museum for inviting us to give this concert, and to Seán Kelly and Emma Robson for taking the photographs.