Flowing Water - Chinese Music Concert 9th November, 2013
The London Youlan Qin Society held a very successful concert to a full house at SOAS, University of London on the 9th November 2013. The audience was highly enthusiastic. The concert commemorated the 10th anniversary of the designation by UNESCO of the guqin as a "Masterpiece of the oral and intangible heritage of humanity”, and raised funds for the publication of the Society's 10th anniversary booklet. The first half was performed by Dr. Cheng Yu and members of the London Youlan Qin Society. The second half was performed by the Silk and Bamboo Ensemble, with performances of taiqi by LYQS member Birinder Tember. The concert not only raised a significant amount of funding for the booklet, but also attracted several Chinese music lovers to join our society. The reaction and outcome exceeded our expectations. It has encouraged us to organise more Chinese music concerts and cultural events in the future.
- Shishang Liu Quan 石上流泉 A Spring Flowing over Stones (Qinpu Zhengzhuan Handbook, 1547) guqin solo by Jenny Zhao
- Ping Sha Luo Yan 平沙落雁 Wild Geese Descending on the Level Sand (Guyin Zhengzong Handbook, 1634) guqin solo by Julian Joseph
- Liu Shui 流水 Flowing Water (Shenqi Mipu Handbook, 1425) guqin solo by Cheng Yu
- Guanshan Yue 关山月 The Moon Over the Mountain Pass (from Mei'an Qinpu (1931) qin ensemble by members of the London Youlan Qin Society:
qin ensemble: Cheng Yu, Chen Qiuzhi, Julian Joseph, Charles Tsua, Zou Yuan, Marnix Wells; Dennis Kwong Thye Lee (xiao flute); lyrics recital in Chinese: Liu Bo; lyrics recital in English: Seán Kelly
- Jiu Kuang 酒狂 (Drunken Ecstasy) from Shenqi Mipu (1425) qin ensemble by members of the London Youlan Qin Society: Cheng Yu, Chen Qiuzi, Julian Joseph, Charles Tsua, Zou Yuan, Marnix Wells; Dennis Kwong Thye Lee (xiao flute),
- Chuanjiang Yun 川江韵 Sound of the River (by Huang He, 2002), yangqin (hammered dulcimer) solo by Chao Yuqing
- Sunan Xiao Qu 苏南小曲 A Short Melody from Sunan (Southeast China), erhu (2-stringed fiddle) solo by Zhang Yuyao, accompanied by Chao Yujing
- Taiji performance by Birinder Tember, with musical accompaniment by Cheng Yu, Fungying Chan, Chao Yujing, Dennis Kwong Thye Lee and Teo Yu Yao
- Chunxiao 雪山春曉 Spring Arrives on the Snowy Mountain, Guzheng (21-stringed zither) solo by Chan Fungying
- Zhuang Bie 壮别 A Hero's Farewell (Shangdong folk tune), xiao flute solo by Dennis Kwong Thye Lee
- Yizu Wuzi 彝族舞曲 Dance of the Yi People (by Wang Huiran 1965), pipa (4-stringed lute) solo by Cheng Yu
- Xing Yi Quan, Bagua Zhang 行一拳，八卦掌 performance by Birinder Tember, with musical accompaniment by Cheng Yu, Fungying Chan, Chao Yujing, Dennis Kwong Thye Lee and Teo Yu Yao
- Cai Yun Zhui Yue 彩云追月 Colourful Clouds Chasing the Moon (Cantonese Music), The Silk and Bamboo Ensemble (erhu, yangqin, pipa, guzheng, xiao)
- Bubu Gao 步步高 Moving Up (Cantonese Music), The Silk and Bamboo Ensemble (erhu, yangqin, pipa, guzheng, xiao)
There are more photos on our Facebook page.
The London Youlan Qin Society would like to express their gratitude to the Music Department of SOAS for providing the venue for this concert, to Seán Kelly and Gao Tianhao for taking the photographs, and to everybody who gave us donations for our 10th Anniverasary booklet.